Visual Editor Consultants
Visual Editor Consultants (VEC) has the primary purpose of developing scientific and engineering application software. The visual editor is its primary software product. VEC also conducts training in its software packages and the visualization of scientific data including MCNP output.
To download a tri-fold brochure about our company, Click Here.
Visual Editor Staff and Associates Include:
- Randy Schwarz - Visual Editor Consultants
- Alysia Schwarz - Visual Editor Consultants
- Dr. Leland Carter - Carter Monte Carlo Analysis Incorporated
- Dr. John Hendricks - Tech Source, Inc., Los Alamos, NM
- Richard Manke - Richard Manke, Professional Licensed Architect
- Visual Editor Development and Support We are constantly adding new features to extend capability and to make our software more user friendly.
- Training Classes. We limit our training classes to under 10 people and each student has their own computer during the class. As the developers of the software, we are experts in it's use. Students are encouraged to bring problems from their work environment and utilize Randy's many years of experience creating MCNP geometries for industry. (Training Classes)
Current and Completed Grants:
- DOE Phase 1 grant, July 22, 2002, through April 21, 2003, DE-FG03-02ER83568
- DOE Phase 2 grant, June 27, 2003 through June 26, 2005, DE-FG02-03ER83844
- DOE Phase 1 grant, June 27, 2005 through March 26, 2006 DE-FG02-05ER84178
- NASA Phase 1 grant, January 20, 2006 through July 24, 2006 NNL06AA48P
- DOE Phase 1 grant, June 20, 2007 through March 19, 2008 DE-FG02-07ER84735
- NASA Phase 2 grant, December 1, 2006 through December 2, 2008 NNL07AA10C
Grant Topics Under Consideration.
- Using the Visual Editor as an educational tool in a university environment. Data Visualization of large voxel geometries.
- Advanced CAD to MCNP conversion.
- If any of the above are of use to you as a user, please send email to Randy. Requests from the user community help to demonstrate the need for the work.
- We offer on-site training for groups of 6 to 15 students.
Graphical User Interface Development
- We have years of experience in developing user friendly graphical user interfaces for the nuclear industry. We are seeking opportunities to create similar software for other codes.
Performing MCNP Calculations
- Randy has years of experience performing MCNP calculations for reactor physics and shielding applications. Contact us if you need help doing MCNP calculations. We ideally prefer to work beside engineers currently doing work that need expert advice. This will not just get the work done, but increase the capability of currently employed staff.
Randy began developing the Visual Editor in 1992 under the direction of Dr. Lee Carter as an in-house tool to use MCNP more efficiently. The software was developed as funding allowed to create MCNP geometries for Randy and Dr. Carter's projects. Eventually, however, it became clear that the Visual Editor needed people dedicated to it's full-time development to become the tool that Randy and Dr. Carter envisioned it becoming.
After his initial retirement, Dr. Carter formed Carter Monte Carlo Analysis Incorporated. In addition to a variety of consulting, he programs the FORTRAN interface between the Visual Editor and the MCNP FORTRAN.
Visual Editor Consultants was formed in July of 2001. Randy initially worked half-time at his job and half-time at his company but was able to work full-time on Visual Editor development after the first year. With additional grants and funding, Alysia was able to leave her job developing engineering software and join him in the spring of 2003. Visual Editor Consultants programs the graphical user interface using Microsoft Visual C++ and works with Dr. Carter to interface the C++ code with the FORTRAN.
Visual Editor Consultants and Carter Monte Carlo Analysis Incorporated partner on all grants proposals. The CAD Conversion contract also partnered with Richard Manke, through his architectural practice.
Today the software has grown in it's capability and maturity and the CAD conversion is opening exciting new possibilities for additional functionality. We are constantly seeking new ideas as to how to make this an even better tool for the nuclear industry.
Contact InformationEmail: RandySchwarz@mcnpvised.com
Phone: (509) 539-8621